TIE-52106 Wireless Sensor Networks and Applications
This page is for exercises and additional information. See POP for dates, times, rooms
for the learning events and lecture slides
YOU CAN'T PASS THE
COURSE WITHOUT CAREFULLY READING THIS PAGE - DO IT AT LEAST
ONCE BEFORE THE FIRST EXERCISES!
LATEST EXERCISE NEWS HERE
ALL exercises is mandatory and you can earn max 18 bonus
points, which will give you max 6 points to exam totalling to 9 points for the exam with lecture bonuses. In order to
complete the most
demanding exercises, you most likely must do them on your own time as
well. The exercise guidance hours are allocated for guidance and
demonstration purposes. Some exercises take 1 hour to complete and some
can take even 8 hours: working only on exercise guidance hours may not
- Get access
rights to the computer class TC221. Return the application
form to mailbox 150 located on C corridor inside the Department of Pervasive Computing of Tietotalo 2nd floor (near
Sodexo Hertsi side).
Laboratory Engineer Jari Salo will add access rights usually within
couple of days.
that you have a Birdland/Lintula account well
the first computer exercise! Also, learn
how to use SSH, basics of command line, and how to move files between
Birdland/Lintula and University Workstations (WinSCP program)! This is especially important for exchange students, but also
concerns Finnish ones.
exercises P1-P3 are personal! And Mandatory!
- Before the
first computer exercise C1:
- Form group of 2 students.
- Ensure you have working access right to class TC221
- Ensure you have a bidrland account
Exercise groups and returns status
Exercise completion status! UPDATED: 02.05.2016
(updated 20.1.2016) and exercise
to the exercise materials will be added to this page as the course
- Demonstrate your solutions before the demonstration
- Return your report, source code, etc. before the return
- Paper exercises P2-P3 need to be returned before
the exercise ONLY if you cannot attend them!
- To earn bonus point from paper exercises P1-P3,
you must do
marked BONUS tasks before exercises AND participate on the exercises!
- You may do the exercise in advance, but please, do not
start Period IV exercise before the start of the Period.
- P = paper exercise C = computer exercise
There are two kind of exercises: Paper exercises Px
and Computer Exercises Cx
. ALL exercises
are compulsory! P1-P3 will be done personally, C1-C4 and P4 can be done
in groups of 2 people.
Paper exercises P1-P3:
Paper exercises consists of small tasks that will help you understand
the special paradigm of IoT and especially wireless sensor networks and their
applications. The exercises are intended to be done in the exercise
hours as an interactive lecture way. If you want BONUS points from
these exercises, you must prepare answers to the BONUS tasks before
the exercise hours! And be ready to present your answer for the class.
To complete paper exercises you must either:
1. Participate on one of the weekly exercise hours (see POP
for available times for this particular year).
If you want
bonus points, you must prepare
answers to tasks with BONUS text before the exercise hours. The
BONUS answers are collected in the beginning of the exercise hour
(not returned to the mailbox) and you must also be prepared to present
your answer, if requested. You may get bonus points from active
participation as well (you open your mouth and talk business on the
2. Do given tasks on a paper and return before the FIRST
of that exercise week. NOTE: P1 is the only one you can return via email!
Return paper with name and
student number to mailbox 30 at the 1st floor of Tietotalo on corridor
C (in department, near the department doors at the corner of restaurant
Zip). No bonus points will be awarded, unless you participate on
exercise hours (when there is no point to return a paper). The
answers should be brief, use pictures if needed, do not write half
paper esseays. Remember to put student number and name on the
Notice that correct answers will be given only on exercise hours.
If you are unable to participate on the exercises like you planned,
please, contact assistants with email BEFORE the exercise
hours you planned to participate. In a case of illness or similar, we
will give you options to complete the exercises later.
Computer exercises C1-C4
In computer exercises, you will complete small programming tasks
with C++ using TUTWSN campus network. These exercise can be done in
groups of 2 people. More info will follow later on.
Paper exercise 4 - Own application specification
- The group makes a speficiation as a presentation (slide set given in
the web page)
- Presestation will be held on lectures!! Presentations are on weeks
15-17. There will be a list later, where group can reserve a
presentation time for.
- After the presentation, return your slides with email to assistant:
- The specification does not need to be "implementable" nor restricted
to the features that TUTWSN provides. C4 will allow you to implement
anything. But it's nice if you can implement the specification in C4.
guide to Lintula
Quick Lintula and commandline guide (Ex2):
- Get yourself a lintula account
- Log in to kaarne.cs.tut.fi with SSH client software (PuTTY,
NuTTY, SSH Tectia - Terminal). Port 22 is the correct port.
- Edit your files on your computer and move them to Lintula
Tectia - File Transfer -program (in the class, on your own computer you
may use such program as WinSCP
- You can also mount the Lintula home directory as a network folder via Samba on the class TC221 computers: Samba instructions in Lintula
- So essentially: open My Computer, right click and select "Add a network location". Insert \\samba.cs.tut.fi\username to the network address box, replacing username with your Lintula username, and the Lintula home folder should open.
- You may find (same) SSH client programs for your own home
computer from the Internet (PuTTY, NuTTY etc.). Feel free to use them.
WinSCP is one file
transfer program for Windows.
- Other usefull command line tips/programs:
- wget http://www.address.domain/file.txt will download
file.txt from www.address.domain address to the working directory
- python yourscript.py runs your python -script
- g++ cplusplus.cc builds your C++ program, which you can
run with ./a.out command. Use command make and ./demo for the C++ API
- nano anytextfile.cc Nano is one possible command line
text editor. ^O means Ctrl+O (write out aka. save your file) and ^X
means Ctrl+X (Exit). There are better editors, but more difficult to
use, such as Jed, Emacs, VIM
- create a new directory with mkdir command. You
may enter directories with command cd
directory and come back one level with cd .. command (that
truly is "cd dot dot"). Plain cd
will return to your own home directory. If you do not know in which
directory you are, pwd
will tell you.
CE2 part 1 and 2 should be either the same program
programs that function side-by-side (so both are running at the same
CE2 BONUS can be implemented as a separate program.
For computer exercises C1-C4 you may attend when you
Computer exercises notes: SSH Tectia client has
moved from the computers in TC221. Use PuTTy and WinSCP as an
You should be able to do all C++ exercises by just
modifying the demo.cc file
Some sensors may produce values that you should take
of salt. For example, Sink/Gateway warm up themselves so much that the
temperature is not correct.